Transfer Station Operations are available to the public of inland Mendocino County.
The Transfer Station is located at 3151 Taylor Drive in Ukiah,and can be reached by phone at (707) 234-6410.
Solid Waste Operations
- Municipal Solid Waste delivered to the Transfer Station from inland Mendocino County is consolidated, loaded and shipped to Northern California landfills.
- Station is open to the public (self-haulers) and commercial haulers.
- Solid waste on the tipping floor is sorted to the maximum extent feasible to extract recyclables from the waste stream and increase diversion from landfilling. Typical materials sorted include cardboard, paper, glass, metals, plastic, plastic PVC irrigation tubing, concrete, porcelain, insulated wire and mattresses.
- Salvaged materials are offered for sale at the Last Stop Salvage Shop.
- The Transfer Station accepts the following recyclables without charge:
- Scrap Metal
- Consumer Electronics (televisions, computers, monitors,
stereos, VCRs, cell phones, etc.)
- Household batteries
- Motor oil and filters
- Newspaper, cardboard, office
paper, food and beverage glass, steel cans, and plastic food, beverage
containers, clean film plastic such as grocery bags, plastic wrap and shrink wrap.
- Rigid plastic containers such as 5 gallon buckets, plastic storage containers, resin patio chairs and laundry baskets
- The Transfer Station accepts the following
recyclables for a fee:
- Appliances such as washers, dryers,
refrigerators, freezers, water heaters, air conditioners, dishwashers and
The Transfer Station operates a state-certified buy-back where customers can redeem containers which have California Redemption Value (CRV).
Material brought for redemption must be segregated by product type and separated from other materials.
Non-Ferrous Metal Buy Back
Non-ferrous metals are purchased at the Transfer Station. Metals purchased include copper, brass, aluminum, radiators, insulated and clean wire, stainless steel, lead and similar materials. This buy-back facility is operated in compliance with scrap metal regulations of the State of California and sellers must provide proper identification before purchase can be made.
The Salvage Shop is open on the first Saturday of each month from 9:a.m. to 2:00 p.m. It is operated by Solid Waste Systems and is located at the Ukiah Transfer Sation, 3151 Taylor Drive in Ukiah.
The resale shop offers a wide range of used (and some new) merchandise that has been salvaged at the transfer station at very affordable prices. Salvaged items may include:
- Lawn Mowers
- Building Materials
- Exercise Equipment
- Wire Fencing
- And Many More Miscellaneous Items
These salvaged materials would normally be destined for the landfill. When they are reused, they are given a "new life" which helps with waste diversion. Reusing materials is one of the best ways to reduce the need for landfills and truly "close the loop".
Please stop by and visit the Last Stop Salvage Shop. You may just find the treasure you are looking for!
Compost and Soil Amendment Available
Bulk compost is available for purchase for $25.00 per cubic yard at the Transfer Station at 3151 Taylor Drive. Our compost is made from recycled greenwaste collected in Mendocino and Lake Counties. Delivery is available. Delivery price will depend upon location. Bagged soil amendment is also available for purchase.
Hours of Operation
The Transfer Station and Drop-off: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Saturday.
Buy-Back: 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Saturday.
The facility is closed on New Year's Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
All payments for depositing solid waste, construction and demolition waste, drop-off of certain appliances or the purchase of compost may be made by cash, debit card or credit card (Visa and Mastercard).
- Hazardous Waste other than motor oil and batteries is strictly
prohibited at the Transfer Station.
- Hazardous Waste includes such items
as paints, thinners, pesticides, herbicides, and cleaning agents.
- Contact the Mendocino Solid Waste Management Authority at (707) 468-9704 or visit them at www.mendorecycle.org for information on locations and
schedules for Hazardous Waste disposal.